Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ok, back to the Jordan river and Jericho (the oldest city in the world). The Monastry in Jericho was really neat--built right on the side of the cliff. Monks have been coming here to live in the caves in the cliffs for centuries. I guess the Greek orthodox decided to make something a little more comfortable. In the picture below, the monastry in on the upper right, and some old caves, where monks used to live is on the upper left.


Here are some of the Monks living quaters, built right into the rock



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That's unbelievable how they build right on the side of the cliff. I'm glad that you got to go, seeing it's only open twice a yr. BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!! MomP

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy,

Would you mind sending me a note? I'm leading a Study Tour to Israel/Palestine April 29-May 20, and would love to be in touch with you. I heard about your work from Michelle P. My email address is gmatties @ cmu.ca

Gordon Matties
Associate Professor, Biblical & Theological Studies
Canadian Mennonite University

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home