Monday, October 03, 2005

Here are a few random pictures. Jer and I haven't been doing too much with him finishing up his first class and with me being sick again. Anyway, below is Jer and Andre at the zoo (a class fieldtrip). Andre is a lively Italian and it is so funny to hear him speak hebrew because he has such a thick Italian accent (yes, that is a mullet).

And then here's Jer looking so excited about eating falafel. Could it be he is getting tired of me taking pictures of him doing anything and everything? Anyway, contrary to how it may sound to some, falafel is actually quite good -- and a snack favourite here. Fill a pita with cabbage, onion, pickels, cucumber, tomato, deep fried mushed up chick pea balls and cold french fries and there you have a falafel. I leave out the french fries, but for 5 shekels (about $1.30 canadian), it is a great deal!


This is our market in the Muslim quarter of the Old City. It is close to our place, and probably the cheapest around. On a good day, I can usually get about 10 green peppers for $0.60 or 15 cucumbers for the same (but fruit and vegetables are about the only inexpensive things in this country).

This is the big market (below) that is about half an hours walk from our place (in the New City). It goes on for a couple of blocks and has everything you need but is a bit more expensive so we keep to the many Old City markets.

More Old City places to buy fruit and vegetables....

Onto some more random pictures...this one is for all the skeptics. You know you want a pair Michael, Juli, and Heidi!!! Next I'm making bright green and purple.

Here is a taste of Old City grafitti. Religion is infused into absolutely everything in this country.

We visited another Church just outside the Old City, but the name of it escapes me. In any case, it is the traditional site of Mary's tomb and I was, as always, impressed by the mosaic so I took a picture or two. The artwork in the churches always keeps me busy while Jer looks at all the old stuff.

Anyway, not much happening here lately so that's it for today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea to blog your sejour. I'll put this one at the top of my saved favorites and return to it weekly. Thanks for sharing the experience! It brings back the fondest of memories.

Daniel, Hannah, Hamudah, Havah, and Hedvah

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home